Pharmacy Times and Parata Systems Announce 2016 Next-Generation Pharmacist® Finalists
Independent Panel of Judges Recognize Excellence in 11 Categories
PLAINSBORO, N.J. (June 20, 2016) – Pharmacy Times and Parata Systems, founding partners of the Next-Generation Pharmacist® awards, today announced this year’s 34 finalists in the 2016 competition. Next-Generation Pharmacist is the industry’s leading national awards program, recognizing outstanding pharmacists, technicians, student pharmacists and industry advocates.
This year more than 500 Next-Generation Pharmacist nominations were received across 11 award categories. An independent panel of esteemed judges, previously chaired by former Pharmacy Times editor-in-chief Fred M. Eckel, RPh, MS, ScD (Hon), and now led by Pharmacy Times editor-in-chief Troy Trygstad, PharmD, PhD, MBA, evaluated all nominated entries based on adherence to professional standards, experience as it relates to each category and advancement of the profession.
At least three finalists were selected in each category, representing a true cross section of the industry, including large chain retailers, independent pharmacies, specialty pharmacies, military bases, health clinics and educational institutions. All finalists will be featured in the July 2016 print and online issues of Pharmacy Times and onnextgenpharmacist.com. The finalists are:
- Dixie Leikach, RPh, MBA., FACA, Maryland Pharmacists Association
- Monali Majmudar, PharmD, Walgreens
- Timothy Weber, RPH, PRS, Fruth Pharmacy
- Randy McDonough, B.S., PharmD, MS, CGP, BCPS, FAPhA, Towncrest Pharmacy
- Ryan Oftebro, PharmD, Kelley-Ross Pharmacy Group
- Matt Osterhaus, B.S. Pharmacy, FAPhA, FASCP, Osterhaus Pharmacy
- Christina Andros, PharmD, Western New England University College of Pharmacy
- Mel (Melissa) Nelson, PharmD, The University of Arizona
- Salematou Traore, PharmD, University of Maryland Eastern Shore School of Pharmacy
- Kelsey Turcotte, PharmD Candidate, Union University School of Pharmacy
- Cmdr. Hillary Duvivier, PharmD, BCPS, NCPS, The United States Public Health Service
- Michelle Hilaire, PharmD, CDE, BCPS, FCCP, BCACP, University of Wyoming
- Geoff Wall, PharmD, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Karen Kier, B.S. Pharmacy, MS, PhD, Ohio Northern University
- Daniel Luce, RPh, MBA., FAPhA, Walgreens
- (Ret.) Lisa Tonrey, RPh, American Pharmacists Association
- Cmdr. Vince Deguzman, PhD, FACHE, PharmD, MBA., BCPS, Naval Hospital Lemoore
- Gregory Hare, PharmD, Tripler Army Medical Center
Patient Care Provider
- Ashley Abode, PharmD, Realo Discount Drugs
- Joel Marrs, PharmD, FCCP, FASHP, FNLA, BCPS-AQ Cardiology, BCACP, CLS, ASH-CHC University of Colorado SSPPS, Department of Clinical Pharmacy
- Richard Michael, B.S. Pharmacy, Consultant Pharmacist
- Olivia Bentley, PharmD, CFts, AAHIVP, Rx Clinic Pharmacy
- Jonathan Mansour, PharmD, CSP, Pharmacy Advantage
- Kellie Zentz, PharmD, US Air Force
- Sharon Faust, PharmD, Lumicera Health Services
- Zachery Halford, PharmD, BCOP, Primary Children’s Hospital and Roseman University of Health Sciences
- Bincy Varghese, PharmD, CareMed Specialty Pharmacy
- Cynthia Andujar, CPhT, Walgreens
- Janet Mendez, CPhT, Walgreens
- Zipporah-Darvi Redding, CPhT, University of FL, College of Pharmacy, Medication Therapy Management Communication and Care Center
- Russel Allinson, RPh, MS, Therigy, LLC
- Matthew Johnson, PharmD, RPh, iMedicare
- Joseph Muench, PharmD, BCPS, pharmacyjoe.com
“The Next-Generation Pharmacist program has grown to become the benchmark of professionalism, leadership, passion and commitment in our industry over the last seven years,” said DJ Dougherty, CEO of Parata. “This year we received a record number of nominations for individuals who advance the future of pharmacy every day, delivering innovations that shape our evolving health care industry. Today’s finalists represent the very best our industry has to offer.”
Trygstad added, “The 2016 Next-Generation Pharmacist finalists exemplify the highest standards of the pharmacy industry and stand as a testament to the role of the pharmacist in helping patients lead healthier lives. These men and women have dedicated their careers to advising patients on prescriptions, counseling consumers on over-the-counter medications and helping patients navigate today’s complex health care system. Today we recognize and celebrate their accomplishments and look forward to their continued contributions.”
Finalists will be recognized for their contributions and celebrated by pharmacy leaders at the annual “Innovation and Inspiration” themed gala August 6 at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. At the gala, finalists and category winners will receive their awards and be recognized by their peers for this exclusive industry honor. One winner will be named the 2016 Next-Generation Pharmacist, the program’s top honor, and will be featured on the August 2016 cover of Pharmacy Times. The evening will include entertainment from The Paul Ahlstrand Quartet, one of the Boston area’s finest jazz ensembles, and a tribute from famed Boston comedian Jimmy Tingle, a humorist and commentator.
About Parata Systems, LLC
Parata provides technology solutions to support coordinated care, better health outcomes and lower medical costs, empowering pharmacists to grow their business. Founded in 2001, the Durham, North Carolina-based company is a brand trusted by more than 12,000 pharmacies and a growing number of global health care professionals serving diverse patient populations. Our technology has filled more than 2.5 billion prescriptions, helping pharmacists avoid an estimated 15 million medication errors. For more information, visit www.parata.com, contact us via email@example.com or 888-PARATA1 (727-2821), or check us out on Facebook or Twitter.
About Pharmacy Times
Pharmacy Times is the leading media resource for pharmacists and the pharmacy industry, providing practical clinical and professional information pharmacists can use in their everyday practices when counseling patients and interacting with other health care providers. Each issue and the website contain articles and features covering industry trends, medication errors, drug interactions, patient education, disease state management, patient counseling, product news, pharmacy law and more. Additionally, Pharmacy Times Continuing Education is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Pharmacy Times is part of Michael J. Hennessy Associates Inc., a full-service health care communications company offering education, research and medical media.
Next-Generation Pharmacist® is a trademark of Parata Systems, LLC.
# # #
Michael J. LaCosta